"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Friday, January 11, 2013

2012 Recap #3: Adventures/Experiences

Happy Friday!  We are celebrating this weekend because our home refinance finally closed this week and we got our car back from the shop!  I thought that our refinance would be a fairly simple process, but not so.  It took months and we ended up having to do a few last minute home improvements (like I mentioned in another post - having our house painted the week of Christmas - ack!).  After we completed all of the requested work, we had more problems because the appraiser who needed to come back to do the final inspection was suddenly out of the state on vacation.  I won't drag you all further into this very long and complicated story, but let's just say it was a very sticky situation.  The day that the appraiser returned was the day of our  (now extended) deadline and I had to have a not so nice conversation with him that morning.  Anyways, it's officially done now! Phew!

In looking back at my posts from 2012 to compile my other recap posts (2012 recap #1:  outfits and 2012 recap #2:  Purchases), I decided it would also be fun to reminisce about some non clothing/style happenings of the year.  There is certainly no way for me to compile a list of my absolute favorite moments of the year, but here are 5  adventures/experiences from 2012 that put a smile on my face:)


PARIS
Posts here, here, here, here and here
Ben and I went to Paris  in the spring of 2012 for our honeymoon.  It was such a lovely trip, full of beautiful memories that I will cherish forever.  



 

PLATE AND PITCHFORK
Post here
In July, we experienced an amazing dinner at the Domaine Drouhin winery via plate and pitchfork.  It was a beautiful day, the food was delicious, the wine was flowing, we were surrounded by good friends, and we enjoyed it all outside, right in the middle of the vineyards.    


SUMMER HIKES
Posts here, here, and here 
We enjoyed summer to the fullest, including lots of hikes on the Oregon coast, the Columbia River Gorge, and eastern Oregon.    


I QUIT MY JOB!!!
Post here
In September, I quit my job of 7+ years.  It felt SO GOOD to say goodbye to all of the stress and frustration associated with my old job.  I haven't looked back since.  I am enjoying my new job and I would do it all over again.  


BIRTHDAY WEEKEND
Post here
My birthday weekend was full of magic - my brother came to visit, I got a new pair of Chie's, we consumed lots of good food, we saw the wonderful Sallie Ford in concert, we went on a gorgeous hike at the coast and even spotted a whale.  Wow! Weekends like that only come around every once in a while.  I hold these memories close to my heart.      




Honorable mention:

After quite a few unsuccessful tries, I finally learned how to make french macarons this year (post here)!  I became obsessed with these darling little cookies after our Paris trip.  I haven't mastered them just yet, but I'm having fun practicing:)