"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Beekeeping Adventures - My Bees Are Here!!!

My bees arrived on Tuesday!  I was so excited to get home from work to check them out and get them transferred to the hive.  After being in this little box for a couple of days (they were trucked here from California), they seemed anxious to get out.


I know I look a little bit like an astronaut here:)   Whatever- I am happy to report that I didn't even get stung a single time!  I'm sure it will happen soon, but so far so good.


Here is a short video of part of the transfer.  I'm definitely glad Ben was around to help out.  It would have been hard for just 1 person to do this.  After spraying the bees with sugar water  (it makes them happy!), the first step was to get the queen out of the box and situated in the hive.  She stays in her own little protective box until she's been in the hive for a couple of days.  Once we had her little box secured in the hive, it was time to get the 10,000 workers transferred over.  It kind of felt like pouring a pitcher of water, they flowed right out.  It felt very surreal to go through this process while hundreds of bees were flying all around me.  I could hear them buzzing around my head and could see and feel them land on my body.  What a glorious experience!



After most of them were in the hive, we put the top on and left the box near the entrance so that the last stranglers could make their way in.




I'm in love!