"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pregnancy update: end of second trimester



How far along: 27 weeks

Development: According to The Bump, baby is the size of a Rutabaga. He can open and close his eyelids and now weighs around 2 pounds.

Symptoms: Tired, sore, achy. It's becoming hard to get comfortable at night and I wake up pretty much every day with sore hips and overall stiffness.

Maternity clothes: I am pretty much exclusively in maternity clothes at this point. As you saw in my last OOTD, a couple of my regular maxi dresses still fit, and I have 1 or 2 other regular dresses that are still working. Other than that, it's all maternity.

Stretch marks: Not yet.

Sleep: Overall, not the best, but it varies. Some nights I sleep like a rock and other nights it feels like I'm constantly tossing and turning.

Best moment of this week: I woke up in the middle of the night last night because baby had the hiccups! Middle of the night timing was a little annoying, but I don't care because it was so cool!

Miss anything: Not really. Maybe caesar dressing a little (the real kind, which contains raw eggs!).

Movement: Yes, lots of it!  He moves quite a bit throughout the day, but he is typically very active after dinner and before bed.  I also feel him quite a bit during the night when I get up for a bathroom run.  At my last midwife appointment, she was able to feel his positioning (head down at this point), so I like to try to guess if movements/jabs are feet or  hands or butt, etc. but I really can't tell.

Food cravings: Orange juice!  I can't get enough.

Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope!

Have you started to show yet: Oh yes.  There is no hiding my bump at this point.

Gender: Boy!!

Labor signs: No, too early. I did have 36 hours of very consistent braxton hicks contractions a couple of weeks ago.  I tried everything my midwife suggested (rest/hydrate/bath/etc.) but they continued.  I had to go get checked out (everything was fine) and was given an herb to take to help things relax.  It worked and the contractions stopped.  I wasn't too concerned as my midwife kept me calm and told me that the contractions weren't "doing anything" at that point.  It was a bit stressful and exhausting though.  I guess the actual diagnosis is "irritable uterus" which kind of makes me laugh.  All is well now.

Belly button in or out: Still in, but barely.

Wedding rings on or off: On

Happy or moody most of the time: Mostly good, but I definitely have more emotional and/or frustrated moments.

Looking forward to: Every single thing!  The nursery is slowly coming together, my friend is throwing me a little shower/celebration in early December, our childbirth class is well underway, and it feels like things are moving really fast.  Only 3 more months!