"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Friday, August 17, 2012

Drinking Vinegar

After seeing this recipe for drinking vinegar, I decided to give it a try.  I have always loved vinegar.  I add lots of it to my collard greens and fried okay, among other things (if you've never had fried okra with vinegar, you are missing out!).  Last year, I discovered apple cider vinegar drinks from Bragg (here).  I not really a fan of soda, so these have become my go-to for those times that I want something other than water or tea.  The grape is my favorite, but all of the flavors are good.       

This is my first attempt at making my own drinking vinegar, and I am very happy with the way it turned out.  Instead of peaches, I decided to go with Cherries.  We have an abundance on local/organic cherries in Portland right now, and I can't get enough.   This recipe was very easy, but it does have to sit/steep for 5 days, so plan ahead!





Here is the recipe, via Blissful Blog:

Ingredients:
1 pound ripe peaches or any other fruit you desire, pears, apples, plums, blackberries
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup fresh herbs such as thyme, basil or tarragon
½ cup sugar or more to taste
soda water
ice

Rinse the fruit and remove any seeds.  Place in a large pot and lightly mash the fruit with a wooden spoon.  Pour in enough vinegar to cover the fruit and cover the top with a lid.  Let the mixture macerate at room temperature for 5 days, stirring once a day.
  
After 5 days, stir in the ½ cup sugar bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  Add the herbs, let the mixture cool for 20 minutes and then strain. 

To serve add 3 to 4 tablespoons of the syrup to a large glass filled with ice and then fill the rest of the glass with soda water.  If the mixture is too tart add a little more sugar to the syrup mixture.  The syrup will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.


Perfect for hot summer day!