"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Thursday, June 14, 2012

cheating

Hi Ladies!  I came across these photos from a couple of months ago that I forgot to post.  These were taken right before our trip to Paris.  We went out to dinner that night to get our honeymoon celebration started.  I decided it was the perfect night to wear my wedding shoes:)




Dress:  Anthropologie Two-Wheeler Shirtdress
Belt:  J. Crew
Shoes Chie Mihara Lara


I have been on a fairly strict paleo/primal-ish diet for the last year.  I'm not following anything super specific, just eating very high protein/fat and very low carb in general.  Ben and I went from a vegetarian diet to a diet that includes quite a bit of meat; it was a huge change.  We eat organic/hormone-free meats and eggs, organic/local vegetables and fruits, lots of nuts, and some dairy.  Cutting out sugars, carbs, and processed foods has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.  My body has changed quite a bit over the past year and I feel fabulous!  I have more energy and I feel more stable throughout the day.  I think that is the biggest change I have noticed - instead of feeling super full after every carb-filled meal and then "crashing" a couple of hours later (getting the shakes, becoming irritable, feeling overly hungry), I feel stable and consistent throughout the day.

Something we have implemented that has helped this new way of eating be successful is "cheat day" (or really "cheat meal").  We choose one meal a week where we can have anything we want.  We had our "cheat meal" tonight and went a little bit crazy, as usual.  I think this method works really well because whenever I get a craving for something during the week, I just tell myself that I will have that during my cheat meal.  I just kind of save up all of my cravings for one meal.  We have a lot of fun planning our cheat meal and we like to push limits to see just how many carbs/sugars we can cram into one meal:) Here are a couple of pictures from tonight.       




Cream cheese brownie, ice cream, and hot fudge.