"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Friday, April 3, 2015

Hello!

Hi blog friends!  I just wanted to stop by a leave a quick update. I hope you all are doing great and enjoying your Friday.  Here are a few things that are going on my world:

Hugo turned one!!!

Can you believe my baby is now one? I can't. He is running, climbing, and getting into all sorts of fun things these days. He just learned how to give kisses and sign "please" (he can also sign milk, more, all done, and light). He is obsessed with our chickens and could watch them all day if we let him:) He loves chasing the dogs around, dancing, and walking to the park. 

His birthday party theme was blue squid. His most favorite book is Biggest Thing in the Ocean (which is all about a big blue squid) and his favorite stuffed animal is a blue squid, so it seemed fitting. I ordered a HUGE cake and about 1/4 of it got eaten. We sent cake home with every guest and still had a ton left over. We froze it and ate on it for weeks. Lesson learned.

We ended up having his party a few weeks after his actual birthday because.....





We moved!

We bought a new place and moved in February. We desperately needed more space. Our old house was 750 square feet, which was fine for us for a bit, but we were feeling very cramped over the past year or so. I LOVE our new place. It's so much bigger but still feels cozy. We are enjoying our new neighborhood too. There is a park 2 house down from us, which is so convenient. 




Kya's Illness

I received some really bad news about one of our pups, Kya, a few weeks ago. I took her to the vet because she has started snoring really loudly and making weird snorting noises when she sniffs. It turns out that she has lymphoma, which is a very aggressive/rapidly advancing cancer. The snoring/noises are happening because the cancer is causing her lymph nodes to be extremely enlarged. She likely only has weeks left to live. I am completely heartbroken. I've had Kya since she was 3 weeks old. I bottle fed her when she was a baby (she was abandoned). We have been through so much together and I can't imagine her not being here. 

My heart just feels so incredibly sad. I've cried so much since we found out. I'm really scared that I won't make the right decision about when it is time to say goodbye. I really, really don't want her to suffer. 

We are trying to make the best of the time we have left with her. She loves running on the beach, so we went to the coast a few weeks back so she could run, swim, and lay on the sand. It was such a beautiful day and we all had the best time together. We even enjoyed strawberries and cream (one of Kya's favorite treats:).