"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Monday, February 13, 2012

Hot Springs

Hi guys! It's been awhile. Hope you all are doing well:) This past week was much better than the week before. Thanks for you sweet comments on my last post. Although work was still a little hectic, everything seems to have settled down for the most part.

We went on a beautiful hike yesterday up to Bagby hot springs. It's about an hour and a half outside of Portland. Once you park, you have to hike in about 1.5 miles to get to the springs. The hike is gorgeous. It follows the Collawash river the whole way. Although there were quite a few snowy/icy patches along the way, the hike was very easy. I really enjoyed the hike more than the hot springs. Here are a few pictures:

My hiking companions on the snowy trail


The river - so beautiful and grounding


There were lots of little waterfalls like this along the way


There are 3 bathhouses at the springs. The main bathhouse has "private" rooms with these ceder tubs. The other bathhouses have bigger community tubs. The water from the springs flows directly out of the ground through a series of wooden pipes into each tub. The water is so hot you have to carry buckets of water in from the river to add to the tub to make it bearable. It was a fun experience, but honestly, it grossed me out a little bit. I am kind of weird about public places like this (pools/hot tubs/etc.). I just feel like they are icky. Like I said, I enjoyed the hike much more than the hot springs. I'm glad I tried it, but I doubt I will be going back any time soon:)