"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Instagram: Chinese Garden

I visited the Lan Su Chinese Garden today. This lovely place (said to be the most authentic Chinese garden outside of China) is right in the middle of the city. In the 7 years I have lived here in Portland, I had never visited the garden, until today. I heard that they were offering free admission this week to celebrate the new year, so I decided it was time to check it out. This ended up being a great way to spend my morning. I took my time meandering through the garden, taking lots of photos (mostly on film), and then enjoyed some delicious jasmine pearl tea in the teahouse. I really appreciate places like this, where you can find a bit of peace and serenity in the midst of a busy city.

The inscriptions above the entryway say "read the painting" and "listing to the fragrance". They explain that this is to "remind us to look for meanings and use our senses in new ways."

I hope you find something beautiful to relish this weekend!



ps - this is what I came home to:

It seems that Kya (one of our dogs) was pissed that I wouldn't let her go with me, so she spent her time knocking over the laundry hamper and piling up all of my clothes on the floor. She can be so spiteful sometimes!