"It was the oldest sound in the world. Souls flying away." The Secret Life of Bees

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm back!

I spent most of last week in Atlanta for work. My brother happened to have an appointment in Georgia at the burn center the day before I got there, so it worked out for him and my mom to meet me in Atlanta and hang out for a few days. Even though I was working most of the time, we still had a blast! We ordered room service, stayed up late talking and laughing, and even visited Anthropologie:) Once my meetings were over, I rode with them back to NC to spend the weekend with my family. It was a nice, somewhat relaxing trip and I was so very happy to be able to spend time with my brother.

He is doing great! His burns are healing well and his disposition is positive. His leg (where they took the skin for the graft) still has a long ways to go, and is very painful, but that is to be expected. It was wonderful to spend time with him and to be able to be involved with his care (in person).

My brother and I at our grandparent's house



Drake and I went out to Tamarind Seed in Atlanta for dinner one night. It was delicious!



One of my favorite meals is biscuits and gravy, and one of the things I love and look forward to the most when visiting my family in NC is my Nannie's biscuits and gravy. Yummmmmmm!



For as long as I can remember, my granddaddy has grown roses. He tends to them thoughtfully, and is always so proud of them. Even at 83 years old, he still has the best looking roses around!



I hope you all are doing well. I'm off to catch up on my favorite blogs. With hundreds of posts in my google reader, it may take a while, but I am looking forward to it!

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Kristin! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit and some really good food with your family. So glad to hear your brother is doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear...I was thinking something like how beautiful a simple rose could be, and the glory of the work that goes into it, and then I kinda realized there's already an expression for that- you know, stopping and smelling the roses...! I need to do more of that!

    Welcome back! Your food photography is really beautiful- those biscuits look right out of a scrumptious cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful rose, and even though it's after 11pm here, those biscuits make my mouth water. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your family and that your brother is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It made my night seeing your new post. I'm really glad your brother is doing so well. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Loraine! Thank you:)

    Sarah - Yes, stop and smell the roses!

    Kimmie - Thanks! I know what you mean - seeing the pictures of the biscuits is making me so hungry!

    Sil - Aw, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely photos... it was so nice to see a picture of you and your brother. I'm thrilled to hear how well he seems to be doing! You look beautiful and so happy in the first pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you were from NC, Kristin! That's our top pick of where we'd like to settle down 3 years from now. I need to email both you and Dea to get the down-low on where you lived. So glad your brother is doing well. And I loved reading about your granddad's roses and nanny's biscuits. It makes me long for a childhood full of warm biscuits and gravy. Alas, my lips have never touched them. Sad, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! It is very nice to see a pic of you and your brother, I am glad he is feeling a bit better. You both look Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Kristin! Good to see that your brother is better - such a lovely picture of you two. The food looks quite delish! I'm curious about the biscuits and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to have you back. Such a cute pic of you and your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! It looks like you had a nom-ful time! I mean, I am drooling from that picture of those biscuits and gravy! I'm glad to hear that your brother is healing quickly. It's nice to see a picture of you two, as well!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete